Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Upcycled t-shirt becomes ruffles for a blah skirt

I've been working on a little project and finished it yesterday. It's tied to my crazy shopping post.

This is what has emerged:


















It began with a denim skirt that I've had a million years or so. Not sure if I got it at Goodwill or if it was a hand-me-down. It was very plain. So...
I took an Archie comic book from the 70's and scanned a couple of the pages, flipped the images and made iron-on transfers. Then I hand stitched around the images. I didn't really care if the comics were readable. I like the worn look they have. There is also no rhyme or reason in the order I put them on. If you tried to read the story you would get confused.













I placed comic panels on the down the front and three panels on the left bottom part of the skirt.
Yes, I'm wearing TOMS. I love my TOMS.

Now, the skirt has a front slit that wasn't too high, but it was awkward to sit in. It just seemed if I wasn't on constant watch it would gap in very annoying ways. Or, at least, annoying for me. Maybe the men around me really liked the slit. Anyway, this is what I did:














I upcycled a red Pine Cove Ranch t-shirt that had seen better days by cutting a panel and hand stitching six ruffles onto it. Then I hand stitched the panel into the skirt.








The dentist recognized it as the project I was working on last week when Callie had her visit and a lady in the waiting room really liked it. Callie explained to both of them that the ruffles were made out of an old t-shirt.






And that fuzzy thing below the ruffles. That's not my hairy leg, that's Dog Henry, not to be confused with Nephew Henry. Nephew Henry, not to be confused with Dog Henry, is going through a "I will NOT use the big potty!" phase. His parents are THRILLED!

It was a fun project. I only stabbed myself a few times. Twice in the lip. I know, it doesn't make any sense. It would have been faster and safer to do it all on the machine, but I like hand stitching and I can do it anywhere. On the train, in my living room, at the dentist, at a meeting, at my mom's, etc...You get the picture.

No comments: