Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I'm not crazy about shopping

I'm not really crazy about shopping, like at the mall. It's not something I consider fun. (Flea Markets and thrift stores, that's a whole 'nother story.) Haven't always felt this way. In the past I had no problem spending hours in a mall. I'm not really even sure when the change took place. Maybe it was around the time I starting realizing I didn't need all that much, nor did my kids. Maybe it was around the time I starting realizing where clothes were made. Maybe it was around the time I started realizing that much of the stuff I was admiring was being made by people forced to work in horrible, dangerous conditions. Not really sure. It's probably a combination of a lot of things.

My friend and I were talking the other day about her struggle to find a baby gift she knew came from an honorable company. She was going to start researching companies for her future purchases. Shaun Groves wrote a few years ago about searching for blue jeans that were fair trade and organic. That made me search. There are good companies out there who are honorable in their business practices. It costs more to buy from them sometimes, but I would rather spend more money, than wear or use something made by a slave or an abused person. Or, simply go without.

Anyone who knows me in real life can tell you I'm not a fashionista. Most of the time I really don't care. Now, I usually know how to dress appropriately for a situation or I call a friend and ask for help. A lot of times I like to be different in some little way, which gets an eyebrow raised now and then. I went through a boring time in my life where I played it safe and was constantly freaked out about what I was going to wear. Not so much anymore. Some years ago I decided to have some fun, which is where the not caring comes in.

I'm getting more and more into altering pieces of clothing to have more of a "me" style. I get a hoot out of repurposing pieces and upcycling stuff. It helps my creative side. I love to hand stitch things. It helps me with stress. And it works nicely with my dislike of shopping.

So, all that to say that I'm going on a little adventure where I'm going to try to not make any purchases without knowing if the supply chain is pure and I'm going to be getting less stressful by creating a lot of my own stuff. Don't how it will all turn out or how I will record it. Since only a couple of people read this, maybe they will throw some ideas my way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nancy,
Your conviction is so strong, it's wonderful!
I have a speech coming up in a few weeks about modern human trafficking. I was wondering if, after spring break, you could help me with it.
Thanks.
Naomi.

Prior said...

That's just another reason I enjoy 2nd hand shopping, even if it originally had bad roots, I don't feel as much of a contributor, besides I relish the hunt!