Saturday, February 27, 2010

My dad's in Haiti

My dad flew to Haiti today. I'm so proud of him. He will be there for a week with the Southern Baptists of Texas Convention.

It's one of those things where I'm very happy that he is physically able to go, but I'm sad that there is such a horrible need. Haiti was in terrible condition before the earthquake. I've watched the videos and seen the pictures of the devastation and I know they really just catch a glimpse of the nightmare with which the Haitians are dealing.

In the last few years my parents have been volunteering in disaster relief. My mom spent extremely long hours in Galveston and Tyler making sure people got fed. Dad made a trip to Iowa to help out after the flood there. They've made other trips too, plus had hours and hours of training.

Some people think that what they are doing is crazy, helping people they don't even know. Some people make nasty comments about the people they are reaching out to, because they don't feel the victims deserve help. I say they are being the hands and feet of Christ. They are living out Micah 6:8 and Matthew 25.

My parents and I don't agree on a lot of things. We have different views about many things. There are some subjects that are best to be avoided. But, this is something we do agree on. If you can go and help, then go. If you have the means to go, then go. The small, little world you leave to go minister to someone else will still be there when you get back. It might be a little different when you get back. You will be a whole lot different. But, for the better.

To find out ways you can help in Haiti see any of the below:
RHFH Rescue Center
Compassion International
World Vision
Hands and Feet

These two involve family members. The sewing project is by my cousin, Jodi. Lovely, easy idea. The other one, for Red Cross, has my son in it.

Sewing Day

hitRECord & Red Cross

No comments: