Friday, February 5, 2010

I get twitchy about slavery

Some people know I get a little twitchy about modern-day slavery. I get twitchy when people talk about pre-Civil War slavery and try to justify it. Slavery, all around makes me twitchy. It makes me grit my teeth and squint my eyes and twitch.

I never really thought much about modern-day slavery until I saw it with my own eyes. It made me want to throw up. I will never get those images out of my head.

Sometimes I get overcome by urges to make something with my hands. Usually it happens when I'm stressed. There is something about pouring myself into creating that calms me. Most of the time whatever it is that is asking me to make it gets completely hand sewn. I like the folk artsy look of hand sewn items and I feel more connected with the item. And, some of the time, I've screwed up a knob here or there on the machine and can't use it.

What in the heck does that have to do with slavery? Well, I decided to put some of the quirky dolls on Etsy. Since I make them with mostly recycled, found objects all of the adoption fees go to Faceless International.

Faceless International aims to defend the plight of exploited people worldwide who have gone faceless and unknown for far too long. We exist to raise awareness about social issues happening throughout the global community. We provide first hand experience and education through trips around the world and solution-based opportunities through regional resources.
Each doll has a story that they tell me as I'm making them. Sometimes a picture or person inspires their beginning or helps it develop as we move along.

Each are very simple and unique. I'm pretty sure I couldn't make two alike if I wanted to.

Some are safe for young children. Some are not.

All are perfect for people with weird tastes and/or personalities. That is why I love them.

My shop is called lovemercy.

1 comment:

Prior said...

Nancy, I like your dolls, well, yeah, Jodi made a doll the other day for Faith's birthday. It is on her blog... She also bought one for Aubs from a Haiti charity site. Lezlee Her blog is http://mattandjodibeth.blogspot.com/