Friday, September 5, 2008

What I Learned Yesterday

This is what I learned at Coventry this week.

I am not in this world for myself.
Others need my smile, hug, and pat on the back.
I will look around and see how I can be a blessing.
I can make a difference in someone's life every day.

I don't know if they know it, but they bless me greatly. Their hearts are so big.

During Circle Time someone shared that a friend's 18 year old son had been in a car wreck over the weekend and was now a paraplegic. He was a freshman in college and on the soccer team. She asked for prayer for him and his parents. Our wheelchair bound Star's heart broke open and she wept as she prayed about the changes and challenges in this boy's life.

As I listened to these sweet people talk to God, I couldn't help but think that He must lean in extra close to hear their honest prayers. It must make His heart sing to listen to them.

I got to hang out with "Sneaky Pete" on Thursday. Of course, that isn't his real name, but he is supposed to be working on the muscle coordination in his right hand and arm and when I would turn my head he would sneak up his left hand and use it. He laughed at my nickname for him and gave me "head hugs" and you haven't lived til you've had a "head hug".

Jay asked me how Corinn was doing and if she was going to visit that day. I was shocked he remembered her name. When I told Corinn she laughed and said her teachers didn't even know her name. He told me he would take me on Superman at Six Flags. I said I didn't like to wait in lines and he said I wouldn't have to wait in line if I was with him because he is handicapped and can go to the front of the line. I asked him if he would hold my hand and he said "yes." I asked if he would scream like a girl and he said "no." I said that I would. That made everyone laugh.

I'm looking forward to next week. Wonder what I'll learn then.

1 comment:

brett tilford said...

So cool. Looking forward to your future learnings.