Monday, January 30, 2012

Just A Minute

I was a little freaked out when this post suggestion was made. No positive moments came to mind. I don't know if it was because I was such an average and below average child that people simply didn't see anything they felt should be encouraged. Nothing came to mind and still doesn't. It could be I simply don't remember. Lots of things are fuzzy from my childhood. In high school and college there were people that let me know they really liked my writing style, but every time they expressed positivity, there was one certain person telling me that they didn't like anything I wrote. They felt it was their job to make sure I never thought too highly of myself.

Another reason I freaked was because I have five children. Three are grown and two are quickly on their way to adulthood. Have I done the same thing to them? Have I spoken life into them or have I squashed their dreams and desires? I think I have encouraged them more times than squashing, but I'm too scared to ask them how they feel on the subject.

Compassion's president, Dr. Wess Stafford, recently released his second book, Just a Minute. Watch the following to hear a story about his daughter, Jenny, and a moment in their lives:



Take just a minute to speak life whenever you can. Don't be freaked out like me. Make sure you pour into the children around you.

2 comments:

Keri Wyatt Kent said...

Be encouraged, mom of five! You seem to be so hard on yourself. None of us can be a perfect parent--but when we love our children and do our best, God will join us in caring for them! This book inspired me to think about my own "moments" that formed me, but also to take time to notice children and speak encouragement to them.

Keri Wyatt Kent said...

Be encouraged, mom of five! You seem to be so hard on yourself. None of us can be a perfect parent--but when we love our children and do our best, God will join us in caring for them! This book inspired me to think about my own "moments" that formed me, but also to take time to notice children and speak encouragement to them.