Monday, March 2, 2009

Running

I dream about running. I love the thought of running. I think running is romantic. I don't know why.

My brother coaches track, so the other day I asked him what to do about shin splints. I've battled them forever. He was so sweet and told me I need to lose weight. I just LOVE him. He also suggested that I might be running flat footed.

I knew I had a problem in the running flat footed department. I started making a serious concentrated effort to use my whole foot. I'm glad no video cameras are around when I run. Concentrating so hard on my feet placement makes the rest of my body do weird things. People probably think I'm having a seizure or something.

You know how when little kids pretend they're horses and they bob their heads and hold their hands a certain way to prance around? I'm pretty sure that's what I look like at the track which might fly if I were five or a horse.

My right hand curls up and starts making a rocking motion mirroring my right foot. My left arm crosses my body and swings from side to side instead of front to back. And my head bobs up and down. It is lovely!

BUT...

My shin splints are gone.

I now just have to get used to the stares of astonishment and confusion.



2 Timothy 4:7 This is the only race worth running.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yea for no shin splints! Keep running. Do you listen to music while you run? Sometimes that's a good distraction from the pain of running - so, between concentrating on your feet and the music - your whole body can appear to be operating independently of itself! ;-)