Friday, October 3, 2008

I Was Wrong

I had a meeting the other day that I did not want to go to. I did NOT want to go to. I DID NOT want to go to. I DID NOT WANT TO GO TO.

I whined and complained - - a lot. I DID NOT WANT TO GO TO THIS MEETING, but I made myself get on the train, head to downtown, and walk into this meeting. I did SO not want to be there.

It was at a very large church with a very large reputation. I felt there was no reason for me to be there, that there would be nothing said that I wanted to hear, that I was wasting gas trying to find a parking spot, $3 for train fair, and 3 hours of my time.

I was wrong.

The minister that I did not want to meet with shared his burden for the people outside of the church building walls. He told how the devastation left by Katrina along the Mississippi coast rocked his world. Before he was only interested in the music program developed and performed for the members of his church body, those that came into his church building. Katrina changed all that. God used the disaster to open his eyes and burden his heart. In the last five weeks he has moved to Texas and started his new job at the very large church with a very large reputation. He wants his new choirs to be burdened. He wants them to look beyond the church building walls. He wants them to get their hands dirty.

Everything that I was going to suggest his choir do for Christmas Gift 2008, he suggested first. He expects the choir members to volunteer beyond just singing for thirty minutes. He wants them spending time with the homeless guests one on one and not just from the stage. He doesn't want extra attention drawn to what church the choir comes from. He knows that some of the choir members will not be happy. He could lose members over this. He understands the mindset of those that will be offended by this idea of getting their hands dirty. He was there once, before Katrina. Someone told me that choir practice at this church is no longer "just practice", it is now "worship". Wow.

I was wrong. I went in with preconceived prejudices. They were totally blown away by this minister that has a burden for those outside the church building walls. They were totally blown away by a man that wants to give this burden to others.

No comments: