Friday, June 5, 2009

New Visitor

We have a new visitor to our creek. I'm calling it a "he". Don't know why, just am. He is a beautiful Great Blue Heron and for some reason he has taken a liking to our neck of the woods. We actually live in the middle of a city, but...anyway. Something tells me it is the quiet park and a creek full of snakes, turtles, and fish.

He just finished sunning his wings. They were all spread all out while he faced the rising sun. It was almost like he was meditating. He just stood there looking completely relaxed soaking up the warmth.

When he gets agitated the long black feathers on the top of his head stick straight up and he puffs out all the rest of his feathers. That happened right after the Mallard drake almost took his head off while coming in for a landing.

The other day he was talking like crazy. I don't know what he was saying. I don't speak heron, but he was telling some kind of story or letting off steam. He was on a roll.

I would love it if another one came along and we had baby herons. Wouldn't that be a hoot to watch? I love watching baby anythings.

I need to read up on them.

No comments: